Nowadays there are many platforms available in the market to build the website. Like WordPress, Joomla, Drupal, Wix and many more…, Even if you have good knowledge in web development you can create it from scratch.
From the above statistics, we can see WordPress holds the major market share in websites development.
- Designed For Beginners
- WordPress is FREE
- WordPress is Extendable Using Themes and Plugins
- WordPress is SEO Friendly
- WordPress Gives You Full Control Of Your Website
- WordPress Community is Powerful
- WordPress is Safe and Secure
- WordPress is Multilingual
- WordPress is Mobile Friendly
- Easy Third Party Integrations
Now that you know why you should use WordPress for your business/blog and why WordPress is the best CMS Available in the market
There are two basic things you need to start a WordPress blog/website:
- A website name (domain name), this will be the name of your blog/website.
- A web hosting space account to host/publish your website.
Table of content
In this tutorial, we will cover:
- How to Register a Domain Name & Web Hosting
- How to Install WordPress
- How to Change Your Theme
- How to Write Your First Blog Post
- How to Customize WordPress with Plugins
- How to Add a Contact Form
- How to Setup Google Analytics Tracking
- How to Optimize Your Website for SEO
1. How to Register a Domain Name & Hosting:
- Domain Name (a web address like YourSiteName.com)
- Web Hosting (a service that connects your site to the internet)
There are many domain name service providers like Godaddy, BigRock, NameCheap etc. go to any website and search the desired domain name for your website. Create an account, pay and done.
After registering a domain name we require hosting package (A web hosting service is a type of Internet hosting service that allows individuals and organizations to make their website accessible via the World Wide Web). This can be brought from any service provider as mentioned for the domain name.
2. How to install?
Here are the steps you should follow (should be similar/same on all the major web hosting companies):
- Log in to your hosting account.
- Go to your control panel.
- Look for the “WordPress” or “Website” icon.
- Choose the domain where you want to install your website.
- Click the “Install Now” button and you will get access to your new WordPress website.
What is a WordPress theme?
A WordPress Theme is the pre-defined website layout/graphical interface which can be modified/setup as per user requirements.
3. How to install WordPress theme?
Open URL in your web browser: https://yoursite.com/wp-admin (replace “yoursite” with your domain) to enter in your WordPress admin dashboard from where you can manage complete website.
This is what the WordPress dashboard looks like:
Just search the sidebar for “Appearance”, then click “Themes”, you will get access to thousands of FREE available WordPress themes. Once you have found a theme you like, installing it is as simple as clicking “Install” followed by “Activate”.
4. How to Write Your First Blog Post/Pages
1. Look along the sidebar in the WordPress Dashboard for “Pages” -> “Add New”.
2. You’ll find a screen that looks a lot like what you’ve maybe seen in Microsoft Word. Add text, images and more to build the page you want, then save it when you’re done.
Setting Up a Static Front Page
- Go to “Settings -> Reading”
- Choose a static page that you have created. “Front Page” denotes your home page. “Posts page” is the front page of your blog (if your entire site isn’t a blog).
If you don’t choose a static page on your own, WordPress will take your latest posts and start showing them on your homepage.
What is a WordPress Plugin?
A plugin is extended functionality or adds new features to your WordPress websites added using/modifying the functions.
You can use plugins to do everything from adding photo galleries and submission forms to optimizing your website and creating an online store.
How do I install a new Plugin?
To start installing plugins, go to “Plugins -> Add New” and simply start searching.
There are over thousands of different FREE plugins available, so you’ve got a LOT to choose from!
Installation is easy – once you find a plugin you like, just click “Install”.
Check the following list of the most popular plugins commonly used:
- Contact form 7
- Yoast SEO for WordPress
- Google Analytics
- W3 Total Cache
- Slider Revolution
- Smush Image Compression
- Akismet and many more…